RS14/Oscar 21

According to the AMSAT Satellite Status page, RS-14/Oscar 21 was "switched
off".

Several things perplex me about that particular statement.

Firstly...I understand the economic idea of not being able to afford
something.  When it is swtiched off, is it a FOREVER one way switch...or is
it similar to when a FAX machine sleeps...and wakes upon hearing a CNG tone?

If it can be revived, why hasn't it?  If it could, is it a situation that
could be lobbied for...?  AMSAT cites that it was too expensive to
maintain.  Fine.  How about tranferring ground control to another entity.

The only reason I'm curious about it is because I fondly remember how WELL
RS14/Oscar 21 worked on simple equipment.  I had an Alinco DJ-120 and a
Radio Shack scanner in college that worked pretty well with this bird the
few times I got to play with it while it wa "ON".

John KB2HSH

--

John Marranca, Jr
PBX Technician/Shop Steward CWA Local 1122
BN Systems, Inc
Orchard Park, NY
(716)972-2006