Re: vx-3r, vr-120d

The TH-79A/AD models will work on sats but typically need the wideband
TX/RX mod to be able to either receive or transmit outside of what
Kenwood seems to consider appropriate for 2m or 440 FM.  It does have
genuine full duplex (listen on one band while transmitting on the
other) and does this job rather well with an earphone on the downlink
band, but it isn't real useful without the wideband mod ..

On Dec 6, 2007, at 3:27 PM, Kevin Chudy wrote:

> After working APRS on the satellites, I'd like to work
> the fm voice sats, AO-27 and AO-51.
>
> I'll be constructing an arrow style or eggbeater
> antenna.
>
> I have 2m ht's, but my th-79a does not go down far
> enough to receive these satellites.
>
> I am thinking about using two rigs, does anybody have
> any satellite experience with either the Yaesu VX-3R
> or VR-120D?
>
> Thank you,
> Kevin
>
> N2JPE

"I don't think we should remind people how friendly we were with
dictators who oppressed their people while stealing their money." --
Toby Ziegler