Re: Where can I buy pre-made feedline?

Edward Cole wrote:
> I have just assembled PL-259's without soldering the shield and they
> seem to work (tested only with SWR meter).  But without solder the
> contact will deteriorate over time as the copper braid oxidizes.  Not
> so bad if only used for inside connections.  Since compression is
> used with other style connectors this may work fine.  I would just be
> sure to thoroughly wx-seal any connectors that will be outside.  Then
> time will tell if this method is good.  Soldering all the holes in
> the PL-259 seals the connector from moisture intrusion (if taped).

Not soldering the braid seems to me like it could cause a big problem if
you use a proper service entrance panel and polyphasers for lightning
protection.  You need a good shield connection for grounding.  Granted,
not many hams do the grounding/protection "properly" at home, but then
again -- a lot of hams lose gear to lightning that probably wouldn't be
lost if built properly.

It would also seem that if the shield has a questionable ground, you
wouldn't get as much protection from other high RF noise sources in the
local vicinity from the shield.

The partially or un-grounded shield could also become an IM generator in
the form of metal-on-metal contact that's not solid.  Not a problem in
most home installations, but bad practice in general.

Nate WY0X