early satellite history

Some of you might enjoy reading these recollections about the
development of Telstar, one of the first active satellites, at Bell
Laboratories. The article is by J. R. Pierce, who was a well-known
executive and scientist at Bell.
http://www.smecc.org/john_pierce1.htm

Here is a very interesting article about the development of Echo, the
balloon satellite, also written by Pierce.
http://www.smecc.org/john_pierce___echoredo.htm
I remember when we at Ohio State recorded President Eisenhower's
message relayed by Echo. I have lost the tape, however.

ron