Re: Useless information dept

Actually after being a QRPp eme operator for almost 9-years, I can
recommend it to you John.  Of course QRP for eme is a little more RF
than 20 dBm.  But I run a little over 50 dBm RF on 2m-eme (that's
125w to you Amsat folks).  I now have worked over 100 stations on
eme.  QRP for eme is 400w, so 125w qualifies as QRPp.  My antenna is
only 21 dBi (4 yagis).

EME in the digital world is a lot different than the old CW
days.  Folks are working eme with an AO-10 2m yagi (13 dBi) and 100w!

73, Ed - KL7UW

At 11:07 AM 11/14/2007, Reicher, James wrote:
>John,
>The fact that you're a dedicated QRP operator means that you should have
>the best darned antenna system in the world.  QRP just means low-power.
>It doesn't have to mean you're deaf!
>
>Putting that 100mw into a 40dB gain EME array will do more for your
>signal that putting 2KW into a 1/4 wave wire strung in the attic, unless
>your goal is to melt the snow off your roof.
>

>73 de W0HV, Jim in Raymore, MO (ex-N8AU)
>
>Light travels faster than sound...  This is why some people appear
>bright until you hear them speak.
>

>Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2007 10:06:58 +0100
>From: John Hackett <archie.hackett@hotmail.com>
>Subject: [amsat-bb]  Useless information dept:
>To: "Eu-amsat@yahoogroups.com" <eu-amsat@yahoogroups.com>
>Cc: allan_gm1sxx@hotmail.com, amsat-bb@amsat.org
>

>About the only thing I havn't tried in radio in 40 odd years is EME -
>but that is entirely due to aerial (and cash) restrictions.
>
>How does a dedicated QRP operator justify an EME array?  - it just can't
>be done on a wet shoelace wrapped around a rusty 6 inch nail ... (though
>I am of the impression that a lot of satellite operators use this
>particular configuration on AO-7).
>
>I digress - in the aforementioned 40 odd years, that which still gets my
>juices cooking is a 'fast' CW QSO on AO-7 with either RW3XL or UA9CS ...
>in Russian.
>
>Now that's !!! international communication by amateur radio.
>
>The kids ought to watch such a QSO in progress (translated live).
>
>Every bit as interesting as the Jay Leno SMS v CW video on U-Tube and it
>would probably get a few enquiring minds in gear.
>
>(Ah!, there was !!! a point to his waffling.....GM1SXX).
>
>He's the other half of the "twisted pair" folks ... see -
>
>http://www.observations.biz/
>
>73 John.   <la2qaa@amsat.org>

Ed - KL7UW
  BP40IQ   50-MHz - 10-GHz   www.kl7uw.com
144-EME: FT-847, mgf-1801, 4x-xpol-20, 185w
DUBUS Magazine USA Rep dubususa@hotmail.com