Re: Email via Satellite Simulated Emergency Test

On Monday 05 November 2007 18:46:31 Bruce Robertson wrote:

> Hey, Bob:
>
> I'm a Linux user, too. You're in luck: the xastir program is one of the
> best for APRS, and it runs under X11. Any post Pentium III machine with a
> sound card can do the demodulating of 1200 AFSK pretty easily. There is
> ax.25 packet built into many kernels as an option, and there are a good
> number of possibilities for decoding the audio. So with a bit of Linux
> hacking and the cheapest of all 2m ht's, you can have a great APRS station.
>
> When I last set up a Linux machine to do this, most of the demodulators
> were not user-space; in the Windows world, they are. I'm not sure if that's
> changing in Linux these days.
>
> As it happens, I just installed Ubuntu 7.10 on a new machine at work and
> noticed the raft of ham radio applications that are available with this
> distro. I look forward to the day that phaseIV_beacon_demodulator is among
> them!

Soundmodem which is a soundcard modem for both 1200 afsk and 9600 fsk is now
user-space and available in the deb/ubuntu repositories.  Soundmodem and
Xastir will let you work APRS in linux without buying a TNC.  MixW will also
run under Wine.

73,
Lee-KU4OS