AO-7 Mode A difficulties

I've made several attempts efforts to work AO-7 on
Mode A, but I just don't seem to be able to manage it.
I can hear CW signal, and if I whistle into the mike, but I
just can't hear my voice well enough to even attempt a
QSO.

I'm using an 80 watt Mirage brick into an RHCP moxon
pair pointed straight up.  I don't have any problems getting
into the FM sats with this setup.  Is it because I'm only getting
about 40 watts EIRP from this and that's simply not enough
for AO-7 Mode A?

Bob - AE6RV