Re: RIT for FT-726R?

--- Scott Townley <nx7u@cox.net> wrote:

> I don't think that's true in the FT-726R.
> The RX and TX VFOs in satellite mode are not linked/tracking VFOs.  As the
> other fellow drifts down, you can adjust your RX down to compensate.  Your
> TX stays the same (from the ground).
> Since the VFOs are not linked, there is no difference between tuning the RX
> VFO down and tuning RIT down...the only advantage to be had is if for some
> reason you need to know your "starting point" RX freq.

Scott,
If you can go back to your original downlink frequency, then it's only
natural that when you transmit, you will set the transmitter so that
you can hear yourself on that original frequency.  This will keep You
from drifting during the QSO.  Having the ability to input an
offset against only the other guys downlink, but not against your
own, will allow you to effectively have two VFO knobs on the radio;
one for his downlink and one for your own.

I actually got the idea for this from the Satellite Handbook, page 4-8,
Table 4.3, Case 3, Note 1.  But, my idea would work as an automatic
RIT that turns itself off in receive.

Sure, I could solve a lot of these issues by buying a much newer radio,
but I only paid $350 for this thing, and I enjoy messing with it as much
as I do making contacts; perhaps more.  :)

Bob - AE6RV