RIT for FT-726R?

I realise this radio is getting quite dated, but it's what I have.  :)

One of the biggest obstacles to me for working the SSB birds
is that the FT-726R doesn't have a proper RIT function.  Instead
the thing has a "Clarifier" which is active during both transmit and
receive, and disables the tuning knob.  So, I was wondering if
anyone has ever modified the Clarifier to function as an RIT?
It looks like it wouldn't be too hard; perhaps with an opto-coupler
and a dropping resistor.  I didn't find anything on the mods.dk
site.

Bob - AE6RV