Re: SUD (Small Ugly Dish)

> Back to my "new" [18"] dish...  Being that it
> is an offset dish, is 1.2GHz possible with
> this dish?

No.

> Anyone tried this?

Yes.  I tried it for our satellite labs for students and althogh I get about 14 dB or so measured gain with it at 2.4 GHz, at 1.2 GHz, it was nothing more than a big piece of metal giving no more gain than a flat reflector... maybe between 3 to 6 dB.

See the photo of its use at 2.4 GHz on the top of this page:

http://www.ew.usna.edu/~bruninga/ea467.html

With the antenna for one of those $75 wireless camera receivers at the focal point, and the companion little wireless camera as a signal source a mile away with only its 1.5" whip antenna, we receive the picture perfectly with a margin of at least 16 dB.  This means the picture would still be good out to maybe 6 miles...

It sure is an easy way to get into Amateur TV.  Even though it does not even require a license..

But if there are wireless LANS around, then the picture gets lots of QRM..

Bob, Wb4APR