Re: Microwave link demos (and strange things)

> ... how do you know they were mexicans?

I was afraid I would get into trouble for that...

> Or was it because they were doing work that
> [others] won't do because it's too hard?

Actually, you are right,  Because we all suspect that normally a
government crew wouldn't be doing any work.  They would be
sitting around on break doing nothing but complaining waiting on
someone else to do it.  But the contractors (usually with
mexican labor) actually drive up, do the job, and are gone.

So I did not mean to sound prejudiced, except that when I used
the word mexicans, I mean "something is about to get done, and
fast" so watch out...  In this case, they had the tree replaced
in under an hour and left no trace...  I was worried my
transmitter would go to the dump with the dead tree.

Bob, WB4APR

> On 9/25/07, Robert Bruninga <bruninga@usna.edu> wrote:
>
> 	Strange things happen...
>
> 	Was giving a satellite lab where we put two tiny
"labsats"
> 	(spysats) with 2.4 GHz cameras about 1/4 and 3/4 miles
away and
> 	then use a dipole with and without an 18" dish to show
gain and
> 	the difference in path loss.
>
> 	See the set-up in the right hand photo at the top of
this page:
> 	http://www.ew.usna.edu/~bruninga/ea467.html
>
> 	My technician placed the cameras out at 7 AM before
class (both
> 	are across bodies of water, so the access distance is
much
> 	greater  than the line of sight path).  I was giving the
demo
> 	for the first group of Midshipmen and while looking at
the image
> 	from the one camera, we noticed it moving and then saw a
face.
> 	Looked out across the water (on the point of land right
behind
> 	the dish in the photo) and saw a truck load of mexicans
closely
> 	inspecting the camera.  We were sure a full scale
security alert
> 	would follow, because the string of "D" cell batteries
inside a
> 	PVC pipe strapped to a dead tree sure looks like a pipe
bomb.

> 	Then we noticed something even worse.  The truck they
were in
> 	was carrying a NEW tree!
>
> 	Fortunately, as everyone who works on a government
facility
> 	knows, the diggers and the fillers are never the same
crew.
> 	They tossed the new tree off the truck and drove away.
SO my
> 	technician madly raced over to move the camera, while I
madly
> 	scurried inside to call the local security to put out
any brush
> 	fires...
>
> 	Fortunately, we got the camera moved to a nearby light
pole
> 	before the fillers got there and replaced the tree.
Second lab
> 	period began, new tree in place as if nothing had
happened.  No
> 	security drill either..
>
> 	The academy does things like that.  Complete flower beds

> 	replaced overnight so that there are no dead flowers and
there
> 	is always something in bloom.  Oh, and no wonder all the
trees
> 	are in good health... If it ain't, then it is replaced!
>
> 	I was sure I was going to be spending the day chasing a
> 	landscaping crew to the nearby landfill to retrieve my
camera
> 	and other goodies...
>
> 	Anyway, these little $75 cameras at 2.4 GHz are a great
way to
> 	bring microwaves and small dishes into the classroom.
Just be
> 	careful where you put them.  Oh, and plan on seeing LOTS
of
> 	intereference from LANS.
>
> 	For clear links, choose some of the $75 wireless cameras
on 1.2
> 	GHz which don't compete with LANS.  But I think the FCC
has cut