Lessons Learned in my first week of Sat work

Monday the 17th:
 Took Kenwood D7 H/T ,compass and arrow antenna out into a 10 acre
field  and waited for an AO-51 pass.....it was right where it was
supposed to be and I was able to follow it with no problem.....heard
QSO's for most of the pass....had somewhat of a sound similar to
sideband transmissions.I'm excited.....just a week before I thought I
would need a digital compass and inclination meter to pinpoint the
bird all through the pass :)

Tuesday the 18th:

Went out again and thought I would try to make a contact
myself.....tracked  the bird ok threw out my call and grid square but
never heard myself in the downlink.......after the pass I get on a
local repeater with the same H/T and the guys say I'm having a hard
time getting into the repeater.......I don't usually use the Kenwood
for voice...its primarily my portable APRS radio......I've known since
day one it didnt have the "range" my Yaesu H/T's did.....

Wednesday the 19th

I decide to check the power output on the Kenwood H/T.....1 watt on
high on VHF...5-7 watts on UHF depending on battery or external
power......Now I'm  thinking  this explains a lot....I bet the VHF was
bad all along.....I'm just amazed how well it had worked for APRS the
past few months with 1 watt.

Thursday the 20th

I use the Kenwood to receive on UHF and a Yaesu VX-170 to transmit on
VHF.....bypass the duplever on the Arrow antenna but I just couldnt
point the antenna hold both ht's....the mike cord....headphone cable
and coax from both radios were more than a handfull :)

Friday the 20th

I set up on a camera tripod.....got the wire jungle a little more
under control and was able to hear myself in the downlink.....no one
came back to me....there were a lot of stations in the mix......

Cant wait to get the Kenwood D-7 back.....I think its gonna be a lot
easier to get a contact under my belt with just one radio to contend
with.......But all that said I'M EXCITED......Hearing my own voice in
the downlink just proved that it can be done !!!!!!!!!

73

KI4OVO

AMSAT # 36579

--
I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn
how to do it.