Re: New Preamp

--- Bob Stewart <bob@evoria.net> wrote:
> --- Gary Memory <gmemory@tks-net.com> wrote:
>> First, it is difficult (not impossible, just difficult) to obtain
>> a better front end noise figure than what the original receiver
>> manufacturer has created.

> Is this for the latest whiz-bang radio, or the ~8db NF FT-726R that I
> have?

I disagree with this comparison of quality mast-mounted, band specific
preamps to built-in wideband transceiver pres. I can't imagine that the
DC-daylight preamp in my $1000 transceiver could have been engineered to
the same  performance specs on 70cm as a $500 70cm specific preamp with
helical filters. Not that $$$ spent is all gained in return, but it gives
an idea about the potential budget that can be allocated to the various
materials used in construction.

I was discouraged by the preamp nay-sayers, but for satellite work, I
think understanding what makes a preamp useful is the key to deciding if
you want one. In my case, it was well worth it.

Regards,

Scott
NW2S