Re: New Preamp

At 09:25 PM 9/17/2007, you wrote:
>Welcome to the wonderful world of mast-mounted
>preamps! 90% of the people who get involved with
>satellites (INCLUDING myself) think they don't *need*
>a preamp. After doing all you can (better antenna,
>lower loss feedline, etc) to get your receive setup
>maxed out, you finally decide to "just try one; I can
>always sell it on eBay", and are usually amazed at the
>improvement it gives you.
>The _first_ thing I suggest to newcomers is to buy a
>good preamp. Sadly, most are like I was, and stumble
>around for weeks or months worrying about other things
>before finally buying one.
>Congrats, and enjoy your preamp!
>73, Jim  KQ6EA

Right on the nose, Jim, and they don't have to be expensive
either,....the ones I use are from HAMTRONICS (assume they are still
in business).  they are at least 20 years old, built from a kit, and
mounted in a wx proof box at the antenna, still functioning 100% and
as I remember about 18 bucks at the time.  They outdid  others on a
side by side coax switched test, and needless to say the owner of the
"big time charlie"was not too happy!!  Hamtronics has pre-built for a
few bucks more, or did at that time...Use them, and hang just about
any kind of antenna on for what we have flying now....One made from
coat hangers would work just fine...And I've said this before.....low
loss coax, and prime connectors properly attached.

I see the "antenna discussers" on here having the time of their life,
and more power to them, probably on of the most fun parts of ham
radio for some of us, but don't forget to include and calculate LOSES
in the entire system.  Your most magic antenna can go down the tubes with them.

            73, Dave wb6llo@amsat.org
                    Disagree: I learn....

               Pulling for P3E...