Re: [fieldops] Re: Re: ISS a Satellite or an airplane?

The ISS orbits at an altitude of 320-347 km.  The DXCC rules specify
that an island is a separate DXCC entitity if it is separated from other
land masses by more than 350 km.  Water is not the same as atmosphere
and space, but the ARRL might be inclined to apply the same separation
rule to the ISS, meaning that the ISS does not qualify as a separate
DXCC entity.

I have a confirmed voice contact with the ISS, so I wish that ham
stations in space would qualify as a separate DXCC entity.  But there
are very practical reasons why the ARRL should never grant an orbiting
ham station status as a separate DXCC entity.  If it happens, it would
be virtually impossible for anybody to make a contact with the ISS.
Thousands of well-equipped and very determined top DXers would suddenly
be competing to make a contact.  AMSAT would be wasting its time
petitioning the ARRL to grant the ISS status as a DXCC entity.

But I think AMSAT could prevail upon the ARRL to allow ISS digipeater
and crossband repeater contacts (between two earth stations) to qualify
as satellite contacts.  ARRL is correct in categorizing voice contacts
with astronauts as equivalent to aeronautical/maritime mobile contacts
which do not qualify for any DXCC entity.

Wayne Estes W9AE
Oakland, Oregon, USA, CN83ik