Vanity call

Hello to all,

Again I seek the advice and council of the BB group on a non satellite
related matter.

In January of this year a dear friend became an SK suddenly and
unexpetedly by a simple fall on the ice.  His XYL (also a ham) would like
to get his call as a vanity.  Some tell me that there is a three year
wait and others say that this rule does not apply when it's an immediate
relative.  Has anyone out there experienced or had any close encounters
with this sort of situation?

Thank you  in advance for any information.   No need to post any answers
to the BB but replies directly would be appreciated.  Your choice!  73 to
all.  Frank,  KØBLT