From: jking@eclipticenterprises.com
To: la2qaa@amsat.org; eu-amsat@yahoogroups.com
CC: amsat-bb@amsat.org; allan_gm1sxx@hotmail.com; sv1bsx@yahoo.gr; k3szh@netzero.net
Subject: RE: Baa ba little lamb.
Date: Fri, 7 Sep 2007 10:11:55 +0100

John,

Are you sure its not because there
is now some eclipse time that is taking the bird down?  It only takes a few seconds without a
battery and the timer will be reset or come up random (I think it resets, as I
recall).  The way the orbit of the
Earth around the sun works, the minimum eclipse duration for sun sync orbits
should be on about February 10 and the maximum eclipse should be on about June
1.  The orbit has drifted so far in
the sunward direction (toward a 6 AM  6 PM ascending node) that there
may be no eclipse at all now (which is good) but, you would expect to have this
problem you are describing more like in June than in September if it is due to
eclipse.  Curious!  I suppose the timer could have failed
but, its funny to think that it would fail after 31 years and other
stuff would not have.  There is
nothing special about those two CMOS gates that would make that circuit any
more prone to failure than any other that is still working.  Id rather suspect something with
the power system driven by orbit changes.
One power glitch would reset the timer.

Jan