Re: Spitnik

On 9/6/07, Dave Guimont <dguimon1@san.rr.com> wrote:
> Hi Lee,
>
> I "heard" Sputnik, and all I can tell you is that I heard a series of
> "beeps"....I was a navy pilot stationed at St. Louis NAS at the time,
> and just had a receiver with a simple wire antenna.
>
> I can tell you nothing more than that, and have no idea what, if any,
> information the "beep" carried, and do not know today what was conveyed..
>
> If you find out let me know!!

"The Sputnik 1 satellite was a 585 mm (23 in) diameter sphere, made of
highly polished 2 mm-thick aluminum AMG6T alloy, carrying four
whip-like antennas between 2.4 and 2.9 meters (7.9 and 9.5 ft.) in
length...It had two radio transmitters (20.005 and 40.002 MHz) and is
believed to have orbited Earth at a height of about 250 km (150 mi).
Analysis of the radio signals was used to gather information about the
electron density of the ionosphere. Temperature and pressure were
encoded in the duration of radio beeps, which additionally indicated
that the satellite had not been punctured by a meteorite."
    - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sputnik_1

--
73 de Maggie K3XS
Editor, Phil-Mont Mobile Radio Club Blurb - http://www.phil-mont.org