AO-7 Distance record.

Hi Thomas, Mak,
                       Don't worry about it ... (I'm not) ... it doesn't
matter which program one uses to calculate the distance ... Frei Island to
Japan is still the longest LEO contact to the best of my knowledge ...
though that one was on FO-20.

7800 or "merely" 6500Km on AO-7 ... it's still better than a kick up the
arse.

At least I do have the QSL's for the regular contacts from Frei Island to
Eagle River, Alaska.

<http://www.observations.biz/Observations_from_Norway/how_much_power_is_enough_pt2.htm>

However, the distance is not so important but it is interesting to be able
to illustrate what can be done with low power and home brew gear.

NB.

It's refreshing to see more and more American stations rediscovering CW and
SSB on AO-7 but PLEASE !!!! watch the power. The gentleman "crowing" about
your amplifier ... SWITCH IT OFF !!!.

The *ONLY* time you need an amplifier is when you're using a 50 ohm resistor
for an aerial.

(Tongue-in-cheek of course but it is permissible to use common sense). The
newcomer often uses far more power than is necessary ... and I can assure
you, anadequate receiving system *DOES* help.

Remember ... near the horizon AO-7 is 300Km away, at TCA (time of closest
approach) it's only 1000Km above you and you need *A LOT* less power to
communicate.

Please read this ...

<http://www.observations.biz/Observations_from_Norway/howmuchpowerisenough.htm>

73 John.   <la2qaa@amsat.org>