Re: [TowerTalk] Antenna Wind Load calculations

At 05:18 PM 8/7/2007, Gary \"Joe\" Mayfield wrote:
>Work is progressing on my new satellite antenna set up.  I have a couple of
>questions for the group.
>

>1.  What would be the effective wind area for a 2 foot by 3 foot grid (BBQ)
>dish?

Tricky to calculate wind loads for grills (there's a lot of
interaction between the wires and it's very wind speed dependent)..
most of the time you can just be conservative and assume it's a solid
surface... 6 square feet for yours (if it's actually rectangular, not oval).

>2.  I have a WIMO helix for L Band (Model 23-2).  The info says a wind load
>of 200 Newtons.  Does anyone know under what conditions it is 200 Newtons so
>I could calculate the area of it?

200N = 44lb

Nothing on the wimo.de website talks about wind speeds...Perhaps
there is a DIN standard?