Re: Amazing image captured 2 miles from my house

At 08:59 AM 6/29/2007, Bruce Bostwick wrote:
>Well, I'd believe a Ritchey-Chrétien is capable of that kind of
>resolution .. :D .. have had an RC on my fantasy wish list for
>years.  (And will continue to have it on that list for many years to
>come, neither I nor anyone I know can afford one.)  We all can dream,
>right?
>
>Tell your friends I deeply envy their scope and they do great work
>with it!  :)

It isn't because it is an RC ... Ron Dantowitz
was doing similar work with a Schmidt-Cassegrain ...
This is a larger aperture scope with a longer
focal length, giving him better resolution ...
He's been imaging the ISS for years now, but this
is certainly a break-through image ...

They aren't using CCD cameras but rather video
cameras ... even cheap web-cams can now provide
incredible views of the planets, as already
stated, because we take hundreds or thousands of
images and now have software that keeps the good
images and discards the bad ones. It then
"stacks" the good ones to improve image density.
There is an article in Sky and Telescope recently
by Dr. Don Parker that talks about this.

Dave VE3GYQ/W8
Spencerville, OH