Bulkhead Connectors

Greetings,       I thought I would ask the list about their experience withbulkhead coax feed-throughs.  Im running coax into my shack and thewalls are made of 2 x 6 construction.  I have seen both UHF andType N bulkhead connectors that are 10 inches long.  This shouldbe long enough to get me all the way from inside to outside with alittle extra space for a grounding plate.   Has anyone ever looked athow these bulkheads perform?  I am hoping to run up to 1296 MHz throughone of the type N variety. Thanks and 73,Joe