Re: Study of 2.4 GHz License Exempt (Part-15) Activityin the UK

At 04:26 AM 6/27/2007, Trevor wrote:
>A License Exempt (Part-15) Spectrum Measurement Study was recently carried out
>for the UK Regulator Ofcom involving 20 sites across England.
>
>The study appears to show comparitively little usage of 2.4 GHz
>(page 30 of the
>summary). This is almost certainly down to the locations chosen for monitoring
>and the short range (< 1000 feet) of license exempt consumer products. Had the
>monitoring stations been been sited in a typically urban household,
>built at 20
>homes to the acre, I'm sure they'd have picked up plenty of activity.

I find that rather surprising, given my experience.  Limiting
monitoring to Wi-Fi devices, one doesn't have to go too far to see a
wireless network or two (in many cases, one doesn't have to go out
the front door to see a wireless network that does not belong to the
house!).  In a major city, the noise floor literally jumps in this
area.  Local hams who work in RF comms have shared stories of seeing
a major spike in the noise floor between 2.400 and 2.483 GHz when
connecting an antenna to a spectrum analyser, and those stories are
from 5 years ago, not now.

Even regional towns 2 years ago had significant activity here... :)

And then on top of the Wi-Fi din, add cordless phones, video senders
and other miscellaneous gadgets...

73 de VK3JED
http://vkradio.com