Re: cleaning coax connectors

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jim Sanford" <wb4gcs@amsat.org>
To: <microwave@wa1mba.org>; "'Amsat - BBs'" <amsat-bb@amsat.org>
Sent: Friday, June 22, 2007 9:51 PM
Subject: [amsat-bb] cleaning coax connectors

> All:
> Seeking advice on a cleaning solution for N-connectors which have been
> stored on cable in a barn and show a little verdigris.  That is, they
> have been protected from direct rain, but not ambient humidity.
>
> I considered some TV-tuner and control cleaner I have here, but that
> leaves a libricating residue with unknown effects on dielectric
> behavior, etc.
>
> Surely somebody's been thru this before!
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> (Yes, I'm digging out stuff for the FD satellite station . . ..)
>
> Thanks & 73,
> Jim
> wb4gcs@amsat.org

Hi Jim, WB4GCS

>From GORE-TEX microwave test cable

            CLEANING

                  DO:

First try compressed air only
Use pure isopropanol with cotton swabs
Clean connector threads
Dry with compressed air

              DO NOT

Use any abrasives, chlorinated solvents, or lubricants
Get isopropanol into plastic support beads
Blow into connectors
Tap connectors to remove debris

73" de

i8CVS Domenico