Re: FO-29

> In my original question I mistyped GIS for *GPS*; what I wondered was if
> these birds 'knew' their position by GPS satellite readings. It seems most
> believe that they don't, that a groundstation in Japan gives a wakeup
> transmission.
>
> 73, Bruce
> VE9QRP
Bruce,

Yes, some do, although not FO29.

I'm pretty sure NASA sponsored a GPS system experiment on AO40 and that
this was the first GPS system to fly *outside* the ring of GPS
satellites. I *think*  I can remember an AMSAT bulletin reporting the
success of the experiment.

Space Today list three amateur satellites as carrying GPS but don't
include AO40. Space today lists: PoSAT-OSCAR 28, Thai-Microsat-OSCAR 31,
CanX1
See:
http://www.spacetoday.org/Satellites/Hamsats/AmateurSatLaunchTable.html

Sil