Re: FO-29

Bruce Robertson wrote:

 >I'm intrigued by the ability of these Japanese birds to operate over
 >Japan, thereby conserving power ... Is this GIS technology ... >or is
there a more simple approach at play?

The usual approach is "don't speak unless spoken to".  A command
receiver operates continuously on board the spacecraft, but the
transmitter, transponder or other high power payload only turns on in
direct response to commands and then turn itself off some short time
later.

-Joe KM1P