Re: Any interested in a MODERATED AMSAT-BB?

At 04:48 AM 4/27/2007, Dave hartzell wrote:
>Hello fellow AMSAT-BBers-
>
>I am a firm believer in Human rights and free speech, but I also do
>not appreciate the politically oriented, off-topic posts that occur
>frequently on this list.  I get enough junk email!
>
>As an attempt to keep down the noise, I propose a moderated list.
>This list will contain FACTUAL information and discussions related to
>Amateur radio satellites.  Posts based on personal political and
>religious opinions will not be permitted.  ALL are welcome to join the
>list with the agreement that their posts will be subject to
>moderation.  It is even possible that the moderated list can subscribe
>to the AMSAT-BB list (with the caveat that the AMSAT-BB messages will
>be moderated before showing up on the new list).

Not interested in a full time moderated list.  The reason is that
moderation kills the interactivity of discussions.  The best solution
is to have a list where "trusted" users are unmoderated and others
are on moderation.  As users become "trusted", by virtue of posting
on topic posts, then they can have moderation removed.  Conversely,
users can be put on moderation if they go off the rails.

Sometimes (like the present), temporary moderation for everyone can
be helpful to quell a flame fest, as well. :)

73 de VK3JED
http://vkradio.com