Re: DSP Speaker

Hi Tony, Roger and Bob!

The "winning" unit is an Am-Com ClearSpeech Base Unit.  It goes inline
between the audio output of the rig and the external speaker.  This was
based on the reviews on eHam.net ( http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/1041
) as well as Jeff's asking price.

No settings, just an on/bypass type toggle switch.

Not being familiar with other DSP units, besides my old Radio Shack DSP 40
http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/4630 , I was pleasantly surprised by
the amount of white noise reduction and astonished by the amount of steady
tone elimination that the ClearSpeech unit offers!

The DSP 40 can handle the steady tone elimination somewhat, but the white
noise reduction was very poor.

The ClearSpeech Base unit was tested last night on 6m with a semi-local
ham (same grid square but about 30 miles away), K3JRD.  The noise floor
was around S7-S8 and Jim's signal was a S9+, but there was still a lot of
white noise in the audio.

I'm actually ahead of myself here... I wanted to test the DSP unit without
being "at the radio", so I fired up my 6m rig and tuned to 50.125 USB.
With the DSP off, I had the usual loud white noise.  With the DSP on, the
white noise dropped remarkably.  Much to my surprise, about 30 minutes
later, I heard K3JRD calling... it was MUCH louder than the white noise,
showing how much attenuation was being done.

During the QSO, I disabled and re-enabled the DSP several times to see the
difference.  It's night and day with my Kenwood TS-660 which has no
built-in DSP (not even a notch filter)!

When I get chance I'm going to check out DttSP software that Bob
suggested!

Sorry if this is off topic since I haven't had chance to use it on a
satellite yet... give me a chance! hi hi

73 de Rich N3WWN