Re: IC-910H opinions sought

The 910H is a good rig...the best satellite choice...but it has its
drawbacks.
My biggest complaint, after nearly 10 years of operation, the lack of
metering...there is no audio monitor, and nothing more than an led to
peak to measure modulation on ssb.
In weak signal and satellite operation its outstanding. I had a ball
on ao-40 and was very pleased with the rig.
But it shares another ICOM peculiarity, if you have set things up for
ssb, with compression and proper mic levels, switching to FM does not
bypass compression...this is also an issue with the 706 and as far as
I know 7000.
They are also notorious for less than specified RF output...I have
several friends who've noted the same issue, and have actually
returned the radio to ICOM for inspection without satisfaction.
bottom line - its the best choice available, but it sure could use
some updating...like going digital as ICOM did with the 7000 upgrade
over the analog 706 series.
73, Warren W1GUD