partable thoughts

Steve VE3SAX--
I use a 2 tripod portable setup for FO-29 (and a wee bit of AO7).  Also
using 2 FT-817s and, for 2 mtrs, a 20 watt battery powered amp.  Antennas
are the elements of an Arrow, split between two booms, one band on each
tripod.  It's all carried in 2 hands (and a shoulder) to the operating
site!  (Contrary to some reports, I've found that 5 watts isn't enough for
AO7, and I'll probably add a 20 watt amp for 70cm. too.)

I suggest using simple RG-8X.  The runs are only 6-10 feet long, and loss
is easily manageable.  It's also way easier to handle, even in small
lengths.  At those lengths, even RG58 is tolerable.  Preamps for both
bands, mounted at the antennas,  are great to have, if not an absolute
necessity.

Have fun and see you on the birds.
73,
Tony, N2UN