portable thoughts.

I'm working on a portable setup currently a dual radio setup with tripod
mounted V and U band antennas...and I've got a few questions for the
group: should I take the expense to make the coax runs out of lmr 400 or
will rg 213 be effective enough? and my second question is about uhf
receive preamps are they worth the time and money to put one into the
system. oh and btw I plan on using this for both linear transponder
birds and fm birds
-Steve VA3SAX