Re: 1.2ghz useful

At 02:54 PM 3/11/2007, Alan P. Biddle wrote:
>Rod,
>
>The frequency allocations are different, so ground to space will be down in
>the 1268-1270 MHz range.  I have a unit, not DEM, which works fine in that
>range, with a new LO xtal and a little tweaking of coils and caps.  You
>would be best, unless someone here knows for certain, to call DEM and ask
>them.  They are very knowledgeable, and this question must have come up in
>the past.
>
>Alan
>WA4SCA

Alan,

I asked Steve at DEMI this question about the time AO-40 was up.  He
said that the 1296 xvtr is not easily moved down in frequency
(dissuading one from this).  The board uses stripline filters and not
coils except at the LO.  I would guess one would need test equipment
for these frequencies to perform the surgery.  At the time DEMI had
an 18w 144/1268 up converting Tx unit (I bought S/N 002), but DEMI
discontinued this after AO-40's demise (understandably).

I do not know if they intend to bring a satellite converter back in
production.  DB6NT (Kuhne Engineering) currently offers one, but at a price.

73,
Ed - KL7UW
  BP40IQ   50-MHz - 10-GHz   www.kl7uw.com
144-EME: FT-847, mgf-1801, 4x-xpol-20, 185w
DUBUS Magazine USA Rep dubususa@hotmail.com