Re: Station not coming together - the full post

One possible explanation for Jonny 290's high-elevation reception
difficulty might be the polarization of the eggbeater antenna.  The
eggbeater is linear polarization near the horizon, and right hand
circular polarization at high elevation.  It could be that SO-50's
signal is more left hand circular polarization.

Unfortunately this theory doesn't correlate with my own experience
receiving SO-50 with a RHCP yagi (and a mast-mounted preamp!).  I get
very strong signals at high elevation, but I also get "random" deep
fades that can last several seconds at any elevation.  The "random" deep
fades can be caused by polarization mismatch, or by the body of the
spinning satellite temporarily obstructing a portion of the antenna.

Wayne Estes W9AE
Oakland, Oregon, USA