Shuttle lift?

Hello
I believe this subject has in the past been thrashed around.  Perhaps for some new members it might be worth "rethrashing".  The shuttle seems to have a lot of room and  our satellites are fairly small.  If I recall they (NASA) does not want any satellite with fuel.  On Oct 6, 1990 the Ulysses spacecraft was carried into earth orbit, then with the solid-fuel motors put it in a eliptical solar orbit.  That was 17 years ago, and the policy has probably changed.
73 Bob W7LRD
Seattle