Re: Yes, DStar can work on LEO

--- Tony Langdon <vk3jed@gmail.com> wrote:
> Which means it won't work through an FM transponder.  Would need
> either a linear transponder or a digital repeater.

Existing guidelines would appear to rule out the use of linear satellites for
D-Star due to bandwidth and duty cycle considerations. So it appears the mode
can't be used on any existing satellites.

This goes back to the concern I was expressing in my original email. New
Amateur Digital Voice modes are being developed without any apparent input from
the satellite community. A decade from now we could see Amateurs swapping over
completely to Digital Voice certainly on VHF/UHF and very possibly also on HF.
If Amateurs cannot use their commercial Digital Voice radios on the satellites
we could have a major problem in recruiting new satellite operators.

I note ARRL are seeking comment on the development of a new open-source data
communications protocol suitable for HF, see

73 Trevor M5AKA