Re: OLd things dies

At 12:53 AM 2/27/2007, Margaret Leber wrote:

>Then CW enthusiasts need to work at conveying that excitement to
>forthcoming generations of hams, now that the artificial "affirmative
>action" preferences for the mode have been removed from the licensing
>requirements in the US.

Agreed.  And don't underestimate the effect that removing the exam
has on the interest in CW.  CW changes from a chore that muct be
completed to a unique mode (i.e. interesting to more people).  Now's
the time for the CW enthusiasts to make use of that effect and share
their excitement.

I have seen the effect of dropping the exam in people saying "I want
to learn Morse", especially younger people.

>If CW dies off in a world where the likes of Hellschriber are still
>used, then something is very wrong indeed. If that happens, we can
>reasonably conclude the licencing requirement kept CW on life support
>long after it was brain-dead.
>
>But personally, I doubt that's the case...and I'm not alone in this:

The evidence I have seen suggests CW has a bright future.  I expect
to see it live on for decades at least.

73 de VK3JED
http://vkradio.com