Re: Earths Magnetic Field strength

At 03:00 AM 2/22/2007, lu7abf wrote:
>If the separation between poles of a small magnet defines strength
>of force, then a small separation as in a magnetic compass needle
>only 1 inch long placed at equator, over 6000 miles from poles will
>not move. Instead it does.

But that is rotation, which is equivalent to magnetotorquing, and we
all agree this works well.  However, your compass for a rare earth
speaker magnet doesn't actually move across the table top in Earth's
magnetic field, does it?  THAT would be equivalent to trying to move
the satellite into a new orbit.

73 de VK3JED
http://vkradio.com