How to de-ice your antennas and rotors by K1XT

Hi everyone,

I found this the other day while surfing the web. Hope you get a good laugh
like I did:

Many years ago on a cold winter morning I was at the house of good ham
friend of mine during a contest. A small ice storm had passed through during
the night and the antennas had refused to turn. "Jim. The Yagi is frozen," I
said. "We'll get it turning," he said calmly. "Come on." I followed him to
the door and before stepping out, he grabbed a 410 shotgun that had been
standing by the door. We walked out into the back yard, and I watched him as
he proceeded to fire several rounds of bird shot at the yagi and rotor. It
was humorous to say the least as I watched the ice explode from the elements
at each shot. In short, that took care of it. And when up working on the
antennas that spring, I never noticed any damage to them. "Over the years I
have perfected the load," he told me one day. "I load about dozen shells in
the fall in anticipation." Funny to see, but it sure worked.

Bill K1XT

73,

Kyle Yoksh
K0KN