Re: TS-2000 UHF birdies and performance

On 1/24/07, Jeff Yanko <wb3jfs@cox.net> wrote:
> I remember reading on the BB that the TS-2000 produces a birdie on the 435
> mHz band.  Since I don't have the e-mails, I was trying to recall the
> frequency the birdie fell on and if any software updates ever resolved this
> issue.

The birdie still exists even with the latest firmware.  It is pegged
right on the downlink of SO-50 and AO-27 at 436.7950.  I don't think
that a firmware update could fix this problem.  It is a hardware
issue.

> Another question about the TS-2000 is the performance of the rig on the
> VHF/UHF bands.  I've heard of reviews where the poster would say the s-meter
> barely moves when a signal is received but that can be adjusted through
> settings.

I recommend checking out this Yahoo Group which is more targeted at
what you want to do:

> How does the rig perform in the satellite mode.

It works great.  With the exception of the aforementioned birdie, I
have no complaints.  When I want to work AO-27 or SO-50, I use a
separate receiver (sometimes just an HT) for the downlink.

--
A.J. Farmer, AJ3U
http://www.aj3u.com