Re: AMSAT-NA totally metric? and now almost totally offtopic.

Tony Langdon wrote:
--- snip --

> That's for sure.  It's amazing how many people don't know the
> difference.  Not helped when the mainstream media talks about "body
> weight problems" when it's really a problem of excess mass.  You can
> reduce your weight by 100% easily, if you have a spare $20
> million.  Book a vacation on the ISS! ;)  But it's only temporary, it
> all comes back when you reach the ground! ;)

Tony,

Are you really weightless in space? Surely you're just in free fall.
When the  term "weightless" is used to describe the condition astronauts
experience, this is surely a literary term, rather than a scientific one.

Why spend the $20.000.000 (or 20,000,000 if that's your custom) you
mention, when you could achieve that same "weightlessness" by jumping
out of a building (if for a shorter time, of course, and with a riskier
outcome).

Am I weightless when I jump off a chair?

Are orbiting satellites "weightless"?

Or are they just falling down all the time (in a very special way but
because of their weight).

If a satellite falls down in the special way we call an orbit because
the planet's gravity is acting on it's mass, isn't that weight?

So... wouldn't a "weightless" satellite barrel off on a straight line?

Sil