Re: Recent VO-52 Pass

Steve N2JDQ wrote:

This weekend I plan on constructing the framework for the base of my GME
4.5' quad pod...  Being ground mounted is going to be my saving grace as
if I have a problem it will literally be right outside my window.

Wayne W9AE replies:

My satellite antennas are also ground mounted on a 5-foot tripod, with
anchor bolts set in concrete.  The crossboom is 8 feet high.  That makes
it easy to do maintenance to the antennas and rotors.  It's also easy to
move the antennas for field day.

During daylight I can sit at my operating position and see the antennas
  through a window directly in front of me.  It's great to get visual
feedback that the rotors are working correctly and that the antennas
haven't slipped on the crossboom.

The main disadvantage of ground mounted antennas is that more of the sky
has obstructed S-band reception from surrounding buildings, trees, and
hills.  With a good preamp I have no problem receiving solid U-band
downlinks through trees.  I strongly recommend a mast-mounted preamp for
the UHF antenna.

I look forward to hearing you on the air.

Wayne Estes W9AE
Oakland, Oregon, USA, CN83ik