Calculating link budgets with linear satellites

I've recently been toying with spreadsheets to estimate antenna
requirements for some of the upcoming satellites. I'm not sure, however,
how I should integrate the downlink power of a linear bird over its bandpass.

Take for instance Delfi C3. It is said to have a 400mW downlink in a 40kHz
bandpass. Does this mean that a solitary CW signal would be 400mW, two such
signals (both with equal uplink power) would produce a 200mW downlink,
etc.? In calculating power and pathloss using the simple addition and
subtraction of dBm, what starting value is it recommended that I use in
this case?

73, Bruce
VE9QRP