Re: Pre amp question

Hi Greg, KO6TH

If the AGC cannot be switched OFF put it to slow and reduce the RF gain
to a minimum necessary to read about 100 mV in the voltmeter connected
to the audio jack and this because you don't want to drive the AGC

For this type of measurement with AGC ON the IF of your receiver must
work with a gain wich is well below the gain necessary to drive the AGC

In this situation the AC voltage across the AC voltmeter is low but it can
be elevated to about 3 volt using an audio transformer with impedance ratio
5/5000 ohm recovered for example from an old receiver using a 6V6 for
the audio amplifier.

Connect the 5 ohm secondary winding to the low impedance audio of your
receiver and connect the 5000 ohm primary winding to your voltmeter via
a 10 k resistor with a 100 n capacitor across the AC voltmeter to damp the
pointer indication.

If the above transformer is not available then a small power supply
transformer 9/220 volt works equally well.

If your AC voltmeter has a scale directly calibrated in dB you can directly
read the ratio V2/V1 expressed in dB as I do with my popular analog Volt-
Ohm-Milliammeter model ICE 680R calibrated for -10dB ---0dB---+22dB
with 0 dB = 1mW over 600 ohm

Before to make any measurement be sure that having reduced the RF gain
to a minimum necessary your S meter do not move at all tuning the band
particularly when the preamplifier is ON

Good references to better understand about this type of measurements are:

Don Lund WA0IQN, Using Sun Noise, QST 4/1968

D.W.Bray K2LMG and P.H. Kirchner W2YBP "Antenna Pattern from the Sun
QST 7/1960

P.Schuch N6TX and P.Wilson W4HHK,"Calibrating the Signal Generator
in the Sky" QST 11/1992 , pag-42

W.Atchison, Calculating System Performance Using Solar Flux Data"
Proceedings of Microwave Update 1991, pag 61

D.Shaffer W8MIF ,Microwave System Calibration Using the Sun and the Moon,
ARRL UHF/Microwave Experimenter Manual, pag-60

J.Kraus W8JK, Radio Astronomy, Cap. VIII Mc Graw-Hill Book Company 1966

73" de

i8CVS Domenico