Re: New to the Birds

Hello,

I too am new to the birds.  I've been a ham for about 2 1/2 years, and
have tried making contacts over the past year or so.  Until recently,
I was having no luck, although I could receive the satellites (mainly
AO-51 and occasionally ISS) easily enough.  However, thanks to an
early Christmas present from my wife - an Arrow antenna - I've been
happily successful over the past few weeks, making an average of 2
contacts on the passes I've tried.

Tonight's 01:30 UTC pass was really fun, as there were only a few
operators on it at the time of the pass.  This was the first time I
also tried using the Arrow mounted on a tripod - I was able to better
maintain the signals than I have been while using it handheld.  The
tripod allows me to concentrate on working the HT and recorder,
without losing aim.

It's wonderful how the satellites have opened up a new avenue for me,
at least until I learn code and upgrade from a Technician license.
Until then, I'm going to try having as much fun as possible using the
birds with my simple setup - an Alinco HT (5 watts) and the Arrow
antenna.

73, Dave
KC9GHA