Re: AO-51 SSB/FM mode

Jim,

Thanks for that.  I had been wondering whether the AGC was being pumped by
stations just outside the audio passband trying to get on frequency, but I
expect you have less traffic there.  My experience is also that the audio,
even for stations who are on frequency, is highly variable.  Most of the ops
are FM/FM regulars.  In comparison to the usual mode, those with the best FM
signals can sound the same on SSB/FM, and then fad to nearly
unintelligibility.  Sometimes the audio will jump up between one word and
the next, though switching circularity can sometimes provide a similar jump.

Alan
WA4SCA