info on satellite placement

Hi everybody,

I was wondering if any one can suggest where I might find information on
"how a satellite" gets placed into orbit.
I have had a quick search of the web and can only find that a rocket
gets it there. I hope to learn how and when its gets kicked off the
rocket (or Shuttle), and what happens after that.  How does it loose
what momentum the rocket may have given it, and how it then goes into an
orbit etc .

Any help much appreciated.

Thankyou

Simon, VK3ZSJ