Re: AMSAT-BB Blocked

On Oct 20, 2006, at 9:51 PM, John Mock KD6PAG wrote:

> I'm seeing similar reports in the past week or so.  Also, no
> headers have
> been provided, so i can't diagnose this on my own right now.  I
> also go
> copies of a couple of my own postings, and the 'From:' line in my
> message
> was "amsat-bb-bounces@amsat.org [mailto:amsat-bb-
> bounces@amsat.org]" (as i
> read the AMSAT-BB on-line due to its volume).  I suspect the
> malware is
> thus also sending infected e-mail using 'amsat-bb-
> bounces@amsat.org' and
> perhaps your ISP, legitimately on auto-pilot, is blocking messages
> from
> this Sender.  The fix to this will probably vary from ISP to ISP.

Generally, most spam prevention tools ignore any email address they
find inside a spam message, since they are so easily forged.
Typically, you look at the IP address the spam was sent to your
systems from, since you trust your own systems to correctly report
the incoming IP address. What is probably happening is that the mail
forwarding service for callsign@amsat.org is forwarding along spam
that was sent to various ham's aliases. The ISPs look at the IP
address the spam is arriving from, and when a certain threshold is
reached, starts blocking all email from that IP address, assuming
it's all spam. If both the forwarding service and the mailing list
are sent from the same AMSAT machine, both will get blocked.

Bob N2KGO