Re: AO-51 QRP channel

You had better luck than I did, Pat.  Tried again 19 Oct 0140 pass and heard
K3BSB but don't think he was hearing the downlink.  I put out my call for most
of the pass and finally worked VE3IGJ toward the end.

For those of you on the list new to handheld operation, I would recommend
putting a 70cm preamp in the receive side if you can.  I used an Icom IC-R10 last
week for receive and put in a SSB electronics SP-7000 preamp powered by two
lantern batteries and it made a tremendous difference.  I could hear AO51 and
SO50 on high passes for a solid 7 or 8 minutes with the arrow antenna indoors
in an upstairs room.  This preamp is physically bigger than the R10 and the
VX5R (uplink radio) put together.

Tonight I toted up a FT-726R to receive on (doesn't do pl tones) and the VX5R
to transmit with.  Again heard a good 7 minutes or more solid with indoor
setup.

73,
Dave W8IJ

In a message dated 10/18/2006 12:21:04 AM Eastern Standard Time,