big dish

Hello
I have this 12 foot dish waiting for "something".  I want a dual L/S dish system.  Given the beamwidth of a 12 footer would be small.  What would happen if the feed were placed at a spot other than the focal point?  I realize  I would be  not using the dish to it's full potential.  Would that broaden the beam width?  I also have a four footer which would be more applicable.  I am planning for the next HEO and retirement in six months.
73 Bob W7LRD
Seattle