70cm preamp

Bill,

Something is very wrong.  Setting aside the inaccuracy of S-meters, there
should be negligible loss.  I would expect something like that if the 2
meter output were used by mistake, since they are rated at about a 60 db
isolation.  However, your description seems to preclude that.  "I also
reversed it with the same results."  Does this mean you swapped direction,
or tried the 2 meter lead?

What did you see for an SWR when you transmitted on 70 cm with the
duplexer(s) in place?  If you really have that high a loss, it will show up.
Did you try and receive the satellite, or a local repeater, with the
duplexer?

Perhaps someone else will have an idea.

Alan
WA4SCA